Monday 28 February 2011

Love begins at forty

I got new shoes. Black high heeled beauty but they were hell to walk with especially in a place where it seemed every one was watching you I was putting all my energy into putting one leg in front of the other when he stopped beside me
“Hello where are you going?” he said in a northern accent characteristic of the military heads of states.
“Ikoyi “
“Is it okay if I drop you?”
I looked again –fine; most probably a Muslim; polite and oooh nice cool black jeep plus he waas coming out of my estate of abode. This time there were no flashes all I saw was someone willing to rescue my feet so I hopped in. This ride was a lot different from the others he did most of the talking
“I’m Babangida retired air force officer; I now run imports and export services at Apapa”
Hmmm nice resume, and no questions even better
“How early do you leave for work?”
“About 9 a.m”
“Would you mind if I drop you off from time to time? I leave at that time too”
Even better! “no problem thanks”
We exchanged numbers and he dropped me off at work.
The routine continued for a week during which I confirmed he was a Muslim and that he was into me not for chewing on my nipples but for a long term thing. According to him he had tried to get my attention about a year now (well what do you know he waas on my snob list). We talked day and night about  a lot of things even the possibility of me or rather us moving to Kaduna he wanted to know my family I was comfortable until my sister and Lade asked “are you sure he’s not married?” and all I could think was this is gonna be dang unfunny if he is. Not knowing how to ask I resorted to text chatting.
Message sent
Hi I’m Yasmin Tukur single fifth child out of six;
23 years old serving at the   mayors hospital tell me about you
Message received Babangida
Good morning I’m Babangida Babagana
forty three years old married with 3 children two girls one boy.
Merde!

1 comment: